Here, we look at images of Llangollen during wartime
and peacetime and see some of the people in uniform who have served
both their country and community.
official Llangollen Fire Brigade was established
in 1901 and consisted of 2 Officers and 10 Firemen. The fire station
was on Market Street.
The Horse drawn engine
(above) was replaced in
1930 by the town’s first motorised engine (right). Llangollen Fire
Brigade left the Market Street building and moved to Regent Street
in the 1960's.
horses in the Smithfield Market during the First World War (left)
Guard 1940-44 (right)
- Harry Augustus Thomas was a Goat Major with the Welsh Fusiliers
during the First World War. He was a stonemason by trade and lived
in Green Lane.
A girl lays a
wreath on the War memorial in a service in the 1920s.