Skip to main content
School at St Mary's

The school church of St Mary’s, built on land donated by Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, was opened in 1871 it held its last service in 1985 and has now been converted to residential use. The valley also contained a nonconformist (Calvinistic Methodist) chapel, built in 1856, closed in 1930, and now ruinous.

The Methodist chapel in Eglwyseg was built in 1856 at a cost of £130. As with St Mary’s Church, the land was donated by Sir Watkin Williams Wynne. Services stopped in 1930 and the chapel was abandoned. By 1950 the building was dilapidated and is now totally in ruins.

Built in 1871 to provide a place of worship and a school for the scattered farming community and the quarry workers. It was a school for 38 years and closed in 1908 when Pentredwr school was opened.

It continued as a church until 1985 and is pictured around 1920. It is now a private house.

Translate »