
The Wynnstay Arms was another coaching inn, probably built in the 17th century. The steps up to the entrance formed a mounting block for horse riders. Until the early 20th century it was known as the Eagles Inn, so named from the spread eagle that formed part of the coat of arms of Sir Watkin Williams Wynn of Wynnstay who owned the land. In the alehouse register of 1752 John Simon is recorded as being the landlord, but by the 1830s the inn had passed into the hands of Thomas Pugh and his wife Margaret. In 1845 Thomas Pugh died and Margaret continued as landlady until around 1860 before handing over to their son Samuel, who’s wife Sarah had died 8 years before.
Samuel Pugh continued at the Eagles Inn for another 30 years, marrying for a second time to Mary. Samuel died in 1890 and Mary ran the inn for another 5 years before selling to Godfrey Tamlyn Allen. In the same year of 1895 their grandaughter Sara Corwena Magdalena Pugh Jones was born to their daughter Anne and her husband John Ivor Jones. Sara Pugh Jones went on to become well known in Llangollen and was founder and publisher of the Tuesday Review newspaper.
Godfrey Allen was a well known figure in the town and had previously been landlord of the Ponsonby Arms. His father was mentioned by George Borrow in his book Wild Wales as Mr A___ and he himself was an expert on angling in the Dee valley and local history. After his death in 1908 his widow Alice stayed at the hotel for another 11 years before selling the premises for £1900.
