
Llangollen Mill was a corn mill originally built by the Cistercian monks of Valle Crucis and is mentioned in a 13th century document dealing with a fishing dispute between the freemen of Llangollen and the Abbot of Valle Crucis. The mill was re-built in 1786 mainly of local stone. At the end of the 18th century John Jones was the miller, marrying in 1795 Mary Bowen of Dinbren.
John Jones died in 1812, but in 1830 a Thomas Jones is shown as miller in Llangollen – whether he was a descendent is unknown. In the 1840s Edward Owens occupied the mill, followed by Samuel Parry in the 1850s and early 60s. The family firm of William Jones and Son took over the mill in 1864 and the mill was used solely for grinding corn until 1895, when changing times and conditions necessitated the decision to become a provender mill.
The mill continued to operate for another 80 years, finally closing in 1974. The property remained within the Jones family for a further 20 years or so, during which time it was leased to Llangollen Weavers and later to an antiques showroom and gift shop. The Corn Mill then became a restaurant and pub.
