Skip to main content
Eglwyseg Mill - 2020

With it’s leet, mill pond and overshot water wheel, Melin Eglwyseg was typical of many thousands of small upland mills which once existed in Wales. The prefabricated cast-iron parts demonstrate the central role of water power in the early industrial age.

As early as 1626 rental records for the Wynnstay Estate list an M. Trayford as paying an annual rent for ‘the domain and mill’ in Eglwyseg. The mill was a flour mill that remained in operation until the end of the 19th century. Now a private house the mill wheel remained on the end of the building until the late 1960s when it was torn off in a storm.

Translate »