
Cotton came to Llangollen in 1805 when Lower Dee Mill was built, but only lasted 30 years as slumps in the trade caused successive bankruptcies. The prospering wool trade with it’s mechanical looms took over and the Mill was bought by Hughes and Roberts in 1835. They expanded into the Upper Mill in 1855.
Both remained in production until 1921 giving Llangollen a 130 year connection with the trade. The site was later occupied by Cuthberts seed merchants.
