Skip to main content
Letter from Llangollen Council to Miss E.A. Anderson about Croes y Gwenhwyfar

W.T. Simpson in his account of Llangollen in 1827 remarks that ‘On the north side of the river, nearly opposite the place where the wooden bridge stood, was another pilliar, called Croes Gwen Hwyfr. It stood on the road to Wrexham and has been removed only a few years’. Who Gwenhwyfr was remains a mystery, but the name was common in the area in the 13th to 15th centuries and it is likely that the cross commemorated a member of one of the local families. One possibility is that it was put up in memory of Gwenhwyfar, daughter of Iorworth Ddu of Pengwern in the 14th century.

People still remember what was taken to be the base of this monument being in the corner of a field by the road. The base was just over 2 feet square and 10 inches high, with a socket cut into the top (for the cross) measuring 9 inches square. The location of the top part of the monument has never been discovered and now the base has also disappeared.

Translate »