
It is not known exactly when Coward’s timber yard first opened, but by 1891 the business was thriving. Shown above is part of the workforce of Coward’s Timber Company. Mr Tom Coward, the owner, is on the extreme right.
The business continued until the 1950s. After closure the buildings of the timber yard were empty for some time before being demolished. Today the former timber yard is the site of the Co-op supermarket.

An aerial view of Coward’s Timber Yard, later the site of Kwik Save, in the 1950s
