Skip to main content
The Britannia Inn in the early 20th century, when the road ran past the door

The Brittannia Inn was possibly built as early as the 13th century, although nothing now remains from this period. It could originally have provided extra accommodation for the monks from Valle Crucis Abbey. Brewing ale was a tradition in the monasteries and the water in the falls next to the inn provided an excellent source for this purpose. After the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century the Brittania would have continued to operate as a free house for travellers on the road between Llangollen and the Vale of Clwyd.

The Britannia Inn first appears in written records in the census of 1841 when Robert Crow was the publican. The Inn and the land around, including Ty’n y Pistyll, the house behind the inn, was owned by John Crow – most probably a relation.

The Britannia Inn first appears in written records in the census of 1841 when Robert Crow was the publican. The Inn and the land around, including Ty’n y Pistyll, the house behind the inn, was owned by John Crow – most probably a relation.

The Britannia Inn when the road ran past the door

The Britannia Inn when the road ran past the door

Translate »