
The Abbey Grange was built in 1879 by Mr Trevor Hughes, son of the Reverend Rhys Hughes, Rector of Newborough. Rhys Hughes had inherited Valle Crucis Abbey from his mother Elizabeth when she died in 1839.
In the trade directory of 1886 Edward Parry is listed as owning the Abbey Grange, which was then rented out as apartments. Edward Parry lived there with his wife Elizabeth and their daughter Mary Jane. Their son Robert had died the year before, aged 22. By the turn of the century, however, the Parrys had moved to Trefnant and in 1904 Edward Parry died. In 1909 the Abbey Grange was purchased by Lloyd Hughes, a businessman from Caernarfon, who rented it to William John Hawkes, who owned a lease on the nearby Clogau and Moel y Faen quarries from the Wynnstay Estate.
The Hawkes family stayed at the Abbey Grange until 1939, when the house was sold to a local farmer Edward Jones. He lived there until 1942, after which the Abbey Grange was bought by Ben and Glenys Evans who made it into the Abbey Grange Hotel. The hotel continues to be run by their son Steven Evans.
